City of Portland Graffiti Resources
The City of Portland’s Graffiti Program is currently working heavily in the Central Eastside! The City’s contractor, Graffiti Removal Services, works daily to remove tags from private and public property.
All Central Eastside businesses must fill out the City’s waiver to receive free removal service. We encourage all businesses, large and small, to report tags to the city and request assistance.
CET Monthly Graffiti Paint-Out
The CEIC and volunteers from the City of Portland and Central City Concern are holding paint-out day events where we can cover tags under eight feet on privately owned properties in the Central Eastside.
The next Paint Out Event will be held in April, date to come.
Paint-outs will be done by volunteers from the City of Portland & Central City Concern’s Community Volunteer Corps, with paint provided by Metro Paint. We can use the paint you provide. A business/building contact must be on site during the paint-out event. We are not able to cover tags over 8 feet or remove tags with methods other than paint.
Graffiti Grants Program
Central Eastside Together Graffiti Grants Program, is part of CET’s new model of Graffiti Removal Services. Grants will be distributed to Central Eastside nonprofit organizations, businesses, and individuals and follow these criteria:
- Grants will be awarded in amounts up to $1,000.00 and distributed on a reimbursable basis after graffiti removal work has been completed.
- Applicants are eligible to receive one grant per fiscal year, and only one grant is available per building per fiscal year.
- Eligible expenses include: paint, paintbrushes, paint rollers, paint roller cover, paint roller trays, painter’s tape, painting drop cloth, tarp, graffiti removal solution/spray, bucket, plastic scraper, gloves, safety glasses, microfiber cloth, contracted labor from a private Graffiti Removal or mural restoration contractor.
Please follow the timeline and steps below to apply for a Central Eastside Together Graffiti Removal Grant:
- Submit Application. Note: responses are accepted on a rolling basis. Upon submitting your application a confirmation email will be sent to you. If you do not receive your confirmation email please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include a “before” photo of the tag you plan to cover.
- Applicants approved for a grant will be notified within a few days of submitting the application. Applicants will have sixty days from the date of notification to purchase supplies or organize a contractor and perform the graffiti removal.
- Receipts for supplies/labor and an “after” photo showing graffiti has been covered or removed are due exactly sixty days from the approval notification date. Receipts and after photos are submitted via the Post-Grant Report form.
- Funds will be dispersed via check after Central Eastside Together reviews receipts & photos.
Free paint and supplies courtesy of the City of Portland, Miller Paint, and Metro Paint:
- Receive a free graffiti removal kit by contacting email@example.com or calling 503-823-9666.
Prevent Graffiti through Environmental Design:
- Plant fast-growing, low-maintenance, bushes or trees along the sides of buildings. For example, “Rosa Rugosa” helps protect buildings and doesn’t need much attention once it is planted.
- Install lattice-work trellises with vines on the side of the building to reduce open space.
- Improve outside lighting and install visible security cameras.
- Add intentional art to the exterior of your building to deter unwanted tagging and graffiti.