Since 2019, the CET has provided graffiti removal services to District businesses. We have invested $332,435 and 6,240 hours to remove 686,250 square feet of graffiti and tags. As we approach the end of the fiscal year, we have assessed our programs and identified where our advocacy and impact are needed most. After thoughtful discussion with the Central Eastside Together (CET) and the CEIC Board of Directors, we have revised our graffiti removal services and will no longer take requests for graffiti removal and cover tags, ending our contract with Central City Concern. Central Eastside Together Safety & Cleaning Services will continue with no changes.
For the next three months, Central Eastside Together will pilot a new model for our Graffiti Removal Program consisting of two services: monthly graffiti paint-out days and graffiti removal grants. More information about accessing these services will be available in the coming weeks on the CEIC website.
Central Eastside Together’s Revised Graffiti and Grant Program
- Graffiti Removal Grants: The CET Board of Directors has approved $50,000 for a Graffiti Removal Program, making $500 grants available to all businesses and residents in the Central Eastside Industrial District (CEID). Under this new initiative, CET will no longer paint public property, which we have provided at no cost but falls under the City of Portland’s jurisdiction. We are committed to assisting the City to resume its basic services while intentionally stewarding ratepayer investments.
- Monthly Graffiti Paint Out Days: Beginning July 1, 2022, CET will pilot a free three-month paint-out program in partnership with the City of Portland and Central City Concern, where monthly removal events cover tags and graffiti at various locations. More information regarding both programs, including how to sign up, will be available in early July on the CEIC website.
City of Portland’s Graffiti Removal Resources
For requests that fall outside these initiatives, we recommend the City of Portland’s established graffiti removal programs which can be used by those living and working in the CEID. These resources include:
- Access The City of Portland’s graffiti removal services.
- Receive a free graffiti removal kit by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 503-823-9666.
- Report graffiti to the City of Portland.
We know this has significantly impacted all of us in the District. We thank you for your support as we seek collaborative solutions with the City of Portland and our partners at Central City Concern. As always, we look forward to assisting you in navigating these resources and evaluating the outcomes of these two new initiatives in the fall.
Central Eastside Industrial Council | Central Eastside Together