CLEAN START: DISTRICT WIDE (LAUNCHED FEBRUARY 2018)
Central Eastside partnered with Central City Concern to keep the district free of litter and debris. Central City Concern’s innovative Clean Start Program is a mentored, six-month job that provides valuable work experience and confidence to pursue permanent employment to individuals who have been impacted by homelessness. In addition to removing trash and other biohazards, Clean Start crews provide individuals in need with referrals to supportive services and resources to maintain a safe and hygienic environment.
District-wide (Willamette River to SE 12th and I-84 to SE Powell)
- Collection and Removal of 80 tons of trash in 2018
- Added Graffiti Removal Services in November 2018
- Made Contacts During 468 Sidewalk Interactions
NEW GRAFFITI CLEAN UP has started, properties in the CEID will be allowed three (3) paint outs at no-charge! Please fill out the waiver here
To report trash and graffiti near you contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAFETY FOR ALL (LAUNCHED AUGUST 2018)
Unarmed safety professionals have been walking the district six days a week documenting graffiti, vandalism, trash and biohazards and providing crime prevention through environmental design property assessments and referrals to social services. Central Eastside’s contract requires all employees receive significant and ongoing mental-health and de-escalation training. In January the contract was amended to provide earlier service hours, and include the following:
- Safety Escorts – residents or others who feel unsafe walking in the district can call for a free escort to or from work, home or transportation. Call: 503-893-8858
- Transit Routes – increased presence along major transit routes including the Water Avenue Shuttle
- Vandalism Hot Spots – increased presence in hot spot areas including under bridges and freeways
Since August, an appointed Security Pilot Advisory Committee made up of 30 diverse stakeholders including businesses, property owners, nonprofit leaders, social service providers, residents and government agencies (and open to the public) was convened to provide oversight of this work.
Pilot Area (West Buckman)