Nov 2017 TPAC Minutes

In attendance: Susan Lindsay, Mike Bolliger, Michael Zokoych, John Tydlaska, Ryan Guy Hashagen, Julie Bennett, Juliana Lukasik, Peter Stark, Kate Merrill, Brad Perkins

Absent: Bob Wentworth, Dan Yates, Summer Triato, Susan Pearce, Chris Armes, Linda Viray

Public Comment

Brad Perkins would like help organizing for the Sullivan’s Gulch Trail. They raised 250K to have it as part of the comprehensive plan. City approved plan in 2012. He is concerned about the new bridge and feels they aren’t being invited to the table. Having the bridge at Lloyd Blvd level will destroy the Sullivan’s Gulch trail. At this scale, stakeholder participation important at this scale and it will affect us in regards to bike traffic.

JLukasik commented that TPAC doesn’t have input on Lloyd side, but is happy to connect him to project managers who have told her they are connecting with all stakeholders.

Enough members arrived for a quorum

JBennett voted to approve the minutes, JTydlaska seconded. Committee approved.

Board Protocol

Don’t talk over one another. Put your name tag up when you want to talk. Michael or Juliana will call on you. Read through the homework and prepare before coming to the meeting.  Only committee members sit at table, unless a guest is invited.

Introduced VP CEIC, Tom Keenan Portland Bottling. Introduced Dave Benson, PBOT.

MZokoych noted that we need to connect with the new representative from Kerns, Elliot.

JLukasik announced the MOU was completed and signed and introduced Dave Benson from PBOT. He is a Group Mgr, with 33 years experience in the City, 31 years with Police Bureau. He oversees parking enforcement, TNC’s and Taxi’s, and handles derelict RV’s, parking operations surcharge, meter revenue, and parking districts. After spirited discussions between PBOT and the CEIC, the TPAC now has a structure to allow the MOU to move forward through the next 5 years easily. The surcharge program is fairly new, and neighborhoods have a different vision for those funds. Moving forward, PBOT looks forward to a good relationship with Central Eastside and the NW, the first ones permit districts. More permit areas will be implemented throughout the City. DBenson said the TPAC has vigorous advocates for this group, says this in positive light.

In response to the concern about the need for enforcement in the Central Eastside, Dave Benson said they have 4 enforcement staff just for that and 2 are coming on. They are also adding 6 more in next budget and they want this growth. The parking districts are only good if they are enforced. Parking enforcement will grow by 20% in the next 2 years.

PStark noted a discrepancy between  enforcement in areas with permits vs areas with meters. The CEID only had two parking enforcers and it is easier to monitor metering.

DBenson noted that they will be getting license plate recognition technology and permitting will go paperless. Because of procurement, the roll out is challenging, a year to 18mo. They need to load more info into the Parking Kitty handheld devices.

SLindsay felt that the management of the MOU process leaves out neighborhoods. This management body is being facilitated by business associations, few of whom live in the area. The three neighborhoods have representatives at the table, but they have residents that live within the area. Is the CEID a neighborhood? A business association is very different from a neighborhood association, and the rules of the TPAC are very different from the open meeting rules of the neighborhood associations. The neighborhoods aren’t getting anything from the meters. She also inquired about the current status of parked cars on the street being used for storage and junker vehicles.

DBenson responded that they meet each Friday on this issue. They try to get people camping in cars into other services away from cars. If the cars are abandoned, they are tagged. The towers don’t have the authority to tow a vehicle with people in them. They reserve these actions for severe situations, “community care tows.” They keep a lot of them moving. Shelters are bursting at the seams. The City is behind by 7K in shelter beds. If cars meet the definition  of abandoned autos, or they are a storage unit, they get towed.

MZokoych requested 2h time zone enforcement until 10pm in the entertainment areas of the district, and later time stays. DBenson responded that they don’t have the staff. JLukasik responded that enforcement hours are being considered as part of the Parking Management Manual.

JLukasik passed out the budget to start strategizing.  Encouraged committee to email in ideas, and mentioned that Kate and Juliana are available to have conversations.  The next meeting will be in January. The MOU was approved by the CEIC. This budget is a work in process and we can continue to adjust these numbers.

SLindsay has concerns over having such a large budget and a business group hiring themselves and having public money paying for this. She wasn’t available for TPAC this summer. Its worrisome to her that she is “agreeing” to this. She feels that it looks like nepotism.

JLukasik noted that the MOU was submitted at the last meeting and she will send this to her. In May of 2018, TPAC will be renewing the budget. The only project expenditures were the map printing. Data collection was delayed.

JLukasik remarked that this is voluntary surcharge money. We don’t get any meter revenue yet.

PStark talked about the genesis of TPAC and the fact that the TPAC is finally getting funds to make change. There is even a 30K grant for the neighborhoods in this budget. There was an open house in the Spring and this budget was based on that outreach.

JLukasik desired to change the process where the MOU isn’t finished/approved until November/December. She acknowledged the need to be very clear about how funds are being used and where they come from. With this structure the TPAC will have more time to talk about the budget.

MBolliger remarked that, with this size budget, you need people to move all of these bullet points going along and completed.

JLukasik will send the most recently signed MOU soon and is looking for this kind of feedback:

is this a good balance of usage of funds? Strategies, subcommittees for large programs? More robust budget changes how we process this and how we move forward. This is up to this committee. Might be helpful to have a retreat in January.

The MOU was approved at the CEIC Board Meeting. It is  the framework for five years and the TPAC Committee will review the budget every year. The point of tension with PBOT was funding for personnel. The MOU is ultimately signed between the CEIC and PBOT.

The next step in developing more off-street parking in a parking study. JLukasik will send out the MOU to all TPAC members with changes highlighted.

The permit rates will go up in 2018. Protocol is for Brad to send a letter to Leah Treat requesting increase. The increase structure has been been established, and the letter would go out in March.

JLukasik requested to talk about data collection in January, as Chris and Linda from PBOT weren’t present. She really wants to discuss the buffer zones being included and want to revisit the southern triangle because of high speed transit. Data collection has been suggested for the Spring, and it will be good to have it out of our normal time frame.

KMerrill reported on the Winter Warm Up. It was largely successful at the Lucky Lab. CEIC handed out flyers to local businesses and sent out several emails about it. The Transportation Wallet has been very popular.

PStark reported on Portland Streetcar having a possible new alignment in NW Portland. This will be a benefit to the Eastside, with an extra car looping through the Eastside depending on how its structured.

JLukasik talked about Sullivan’s Crossing. There will be an open house on December. Peter and Juliana net with a team of stakeholders, design team and PBOT. They haven’t picked the alignment for the Central Eastside, but have picked alignment for Lloyd side. They have said they have reached out to property owners on Eastside. JLukasik connected them, as they had forgotten to talk to property owners.  She connected Jim from US Bakery with them.

PStark reported on Division Rapid Transit. At last count, they were at 30% in the design. The are removing left turn onto 12th going eastbound. New Seasons says it will impact users. He has talked to engineers, and they need to include studies.

Central City in Motion needs to coordinate with them.  JBennett and CGossett sit on that committee. That includes green loop discussion.

JBennett reported that they just had their first meeting, and freight in the district is not high priority.

The City has assured TPAC there would be a focus group to look at freight in district. Gabe will let us know about the plan and budget for 100K.

MZ: Trucks and cars first and then bikes and peds in the design process.

RHashagen: Livable Streets passed the council, Bureau advisory Committee is doing equity review and budget review. Old Town/ China Town  is doing a survey with Scott Cohen for TDM, going down similar path as Central Eastside.

JL: Happy to meet with that group about how to set up parking zones. This ESD process should be applied to other areas.

Brad Perkins began his presentation on high speed rail. He felt that Green Loop is incongruent with the CEID. In 2035, there will be 260K more people and 500K more car trips. People want more speed today. He focused on showing Portland to Vancouver and PDX to Bridgeport.

There would be a 6mn commute from the Rose Quarter to Vancouver for $1.25 billion. The train would go over the bridgeheads (part of it would be between the esplanade and i-5) elevated on columns. The Memorial Coliseum would become a station. It would eventually bring in people from Seattle, Vancouver BC and Eugene. This has been a 10 year design project, engineered by Swiss engineer. Some of this goes over the river and the esplanade and it would stop at OMSI, Taylor’s Ferry, and would go under the Marquam Bridge when it crosses the river, to PCC and Bridgeport.

He wants TPAC’s support to help with OMSI, to get an easement for the train to come through.

The only thing you would see from the ground is the train columns. 30-50% could be private investment. This would be a 100 year project.

He wants our support and feels it would be an asset to the area. The next step would be to  add our name to their register when they speak to Mayor. It could move lightweight freight at night.

JLukasik asked how much outreach they had conducted with private property owners. They have talked to the railroads, but still need to get to first base with politicians before talking to property owners. He would like the train to be a commuter express and high-speed long distance.

Adjourn