The Morrison Bridge will be closed to all traffic on Saturday, November 4 from 6 a.m. until as late as 6 p.m. to allow a contractor to install parts on the drawbridge that were removed during this year’s repairs. The steel parts – called live load shoes – support the drawbridge leafs in the down position. The drawbridge leafs need to be in the up (open) position to install the parts.
The closure will impact motor vehicles, bicyclists and pedestrians. Details of the traffic plan include:
- Ramps between the Morrison Bridge and Interstate 5 and Interstate 84 will be closed, except for the ramp from the Morrison Bridge westbound to I-5 north.
- Motorists can access I-84 eastbound at NE Grand Avenue and NE Everett St. or at NE Irving St. and NE 16th Ave.
- Access to I-5 north on the eastside is from the ramp at NE Broadway and N Williams Ave.
- I-5 south traffic can access the onramp to Highway 99E/U.S. 26.
- From downtown, drivers can also access I-5 and I-84 from I-405.
- During the closure, TriMet’s bus route 15-Belmont/NW 23rd will detour to the Hawthorne Bridge.
There will be intermittent off-peak closures of single lanes and sidewalks on the Morrison Bridge until November 15, as the contractor finishes up work on the lift span deck replacement. During peak commute hours, all six traffic lanes and both sidewalks on the Morrison Bridge will be open.